Few people enjoy an extended layover at any airport but if you’re traveling soon, consider avoiding the worst of the worst.
Travel site SleeinginAirports.net has released its annual ranking of the world’s worst airports — and even broken them down by regions.
This year, Nigeria’s Port Harcourt International Airport dethroned Pakistan’s Islamabad Benazir Bhutto International Airport, as the worst airport in the world.
The travel study surveyed over 26,000 international fliers. Travelers were asked to judge terminals in four categories– comfort, conveniences, cleanliness and customer service.
Port Harcourt cinched the top worst spot due to its lack of seating, unhelpful staff, consistently broken air-conditioning and allegedly corrupt staff.
But if you happen to be flying through the Omagwa hub, don’t despair.
“The good news is that some areas of the terminal have been recently renovated, meaning you can expect actual walls, floors and windows,” says the website.
In the U.S., New York’s LaGuardia Airport retained its title as the worst airport in North America. Travelers despised the “questionable cleanliness, uncomfortable chairs and limited restaurant variety.” Of course it just 30 minutes from Manhattan and things are looking up—a $4 billion renovation was recently announced.
But a layover in the Big Easy isn’t so rosy either. Louis Armstrong International Airport, which didn’t even make the top 10 in 2014 came in as the second worst airport in North America.
Here’s the full list to see which places to avoid:
Worst airports in the world, 2015
1. Port Harcourt International Airport (Nigeria)
2. King Abdulaziz International Airport (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
3. Tribhuvan International Airport (Kathmandu, Nepal)
4. Tashkent International Airport (Uzbekistan)
5. Simon Bolivar International Airport (Caracas, Venezuela)
6. Toussaint Louverture International Airport (Port au Prince, Haiti)
7. Hamid Karzai International Airport (Kabul, Afghanistan)
8. Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam)
9. Benazir Bhutto International Airport (Islamabad, Pakistan)
10. Beauvais-Tille International Airport (Paris)
Worst airports North America, 2015
1. New York City LaGuardia International Airport, USA (LGA)
2. New Orleans Louis Armstrong International Airport, USA (MSY)
3. Los Angeles International Airport, USA (LAX)
4. Chicago Midway International Airport, USA (MDW)
5. Newark Liberty International Airport, USA (EWR)
6. Miami International Airport, USA (MIA)
7. Honolulu International Airport, USA (HNL)
8. Philadelphia International Airport, USA (PHL)
9. New York City John F. Kennedy International Airport, USA (JFK)
10. Chicago O’Hare International Airport, USA (ORD)
- Endangered species: Greek animal charity says orphan seal Andriana is expected to survive
- ‘Grizou will not be able to give me much’ Hernandez wont be asking Griezmann for advice as Bayern face PSG
- Is It Time to Throw Out Your Employee Handbook? A New Look at PTO & Policies
- Russia parliament gives initial approval to law on declaring foreign groups ‘undesirable’
- How to Capitalize on Major Events: Creative Ideas for Smaller Budgets
- Britain summons ambassador for explanation after Russian bombers approach UK airspace