The latest on explosions in downtown Jakarta (all times local):


12:55 p.m.

An Associated Press reporter has heard an explosion from a cafe near the Starbucks that was attacked earlier. The explosion occurred after about 25 anti-terror squad police stormed the cafe.

There is no word on what happened to them, but after the explosion several other police and medical personnel in white overalls were seen running to the cafe.

Two ambulances also drove to the area, and were standing by.


12:50 p.m.

Indonesian President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is on a working visit in West Java town of Cirebon, has ordered security forces to hunt down the perpetrators and their network behind the attacks in Jakarta.

Jokowi says: “I have received reports some time ago about the explosion in Thamrin street Jakarta. We express condolence to those who became victims, but we all also condemn the attack that caused restless among the community.”

He says: he has ordered the national police chief and the minister for political and security affairs to hunt down and capture the perpetrators and those in their network.

Jokowi says he was cutting short his visit and retuning to the capital.


12 noon

Indonesian network TVOne says at least three more explosions have taken place in Jakarta.

It says the explosions occurred Thursday in Cikni, Silpi and Kuningan neighborhoods, near the Turkish and Pakistani embassies.

It did not say if there were any casualties in the blasts that occurred after three explosions took place in downtown Jakarta earlier.


11:45 a.m.

Witnesses are reporting three suicide bomb explosions took place at a Starbucks cafe in downtown Jakarta.

A bank security guard says he saw at least five attackers, including three suicide bombers who exploded themselves in a Starbucks cafe in downtown Jakarta.

Tri Seranto tells The Associated Press he was out on the street when he saw the three men entering Starbucks and saw them blowing themselves up one by one. He says the other two attackers, carrying handguns, entered a police post from where he heard gunfire. He said he later saw one policeman dead and three seriously injured.

He says he was not injured in the explosions as he was a little distance away, but close enough to witness the attack at 10.30 a.m. (0230 GMT).

He says the two gunmen ran away with police chasing them.


11:30 a.m.

A U.N. regional representative in Jakarta, Jeremy Douglas, is tweeting that a massive explosion in front of the U.N. office in the Indonesian capital has been followed by at six other blasts and gunfire.

He says police and broadcasting announcements for people to stay away from windows.

The midmorning explosion Thursday took place in front of the Sarinah shopping mall in an area that also has many luxury hotels, embassies and offices.