09212020

The latest on Carlo Ancelotti’s plans for Everton defender Jonjoe Kenny


The latest word in the media this evening suggests that Jonjoe Kenny is set to remain with Everton next season, to battle it out with Seamus Coleman for a starting berth.

Toffees stopper

Kenny, a 23-year-old right-back, came up through the youth ranks of Everton, before breaking into the club’s first-team setup for the first time in 2014.

The stopper, however, initially struggled for game-time, resulting in a pair of loan spells with Wigan and Oxford over the years that followed.

But, when first-choice Toffees’ right-full Seamus Coleman picked up a serious injury in 2017, Kenny was finally presented with his first consistent chance to impress in an Everton jersey.

And the English youth international went on to grasp this opportunity with both hands.

All told, across the 2017/18 season, Kenny appeared in half of the Merseysiders’ Premier League outings, 17 of which came in the form of starts.

Coleman’s recovery and subsequent return to form, though, soon saw Kenny once again slip down the defensive pecking order at Goodison Park.

Schalke switch

As such, with Kenny at a crucial point in his career in terms of development, it subsequently came as little surprise when Everton opted to loan the 23-year-old out last summer.

In something of a surprise switch, Kenny joined Bundesliga outfit Schalke for the 2019/20 campaign:

And, despite his previous inexperience of football in a foreign country, the Everton man went on to play a starring role in Schalke’s backline, notching starts in all but 3 of the club’s 34 Bundesliga outings this past season.

Kenny even managed to chip in with 2 goals and 3 assists.

Such impressive exploits, in turn, saw it suggested earlier this year that Schalke were hopeful of extending their on-loan stopper’s stay for another season, with Kenny himself also said to have been keen on remaining at the Veltins-Arena.

(L-R) Jonjoe Kenny of FC Schalke 04, Corentin Tolisso of FC Bayern Munich during the German DFB Pokal quarter final match between FC Schalke 04 and Bayern Munich at the Veltins Arena on March 03, 2020 in Gelsenkirchen, Germany(Photo by ANP Sport via Getty Images)

Everton stay

As outlined above, however, if the latest update on the situation proves accurate, then Kenny looks set to be plying his trade back in his home country in 2020/21.

As per a report from the Liverpool Echo, ‘Everton are planning for Jonjoe Kenny to be part of Carlo Ancelotti’s squad next season.’

This comes despite rumoured interest from a whole host of Premier League clubs.

Though the Toffees have not definitively ruled out their out-of-favour stopper’s sale, it is now viewed as highly likely that he will stay put this summer.

Carlo Ancelotti is evidently a fan of Kenny’s talents, with the veteran tactician said to be happy to welcome the Englishman back into his squad, to provide competition for Seamus Coleman.

This of course comes with Djibril Sidibe’s loan stint on Merseyside having come to an end.

Official: Tottenham sign Hojbjerg as Walker-Peters joins Southampton

What could have been at Man United: Jude Bellingham credits Sancho with helping him to settle at Dortmund




Source link

What Next?

Recent Articles