• Nate Diaz is interested in a rematch with Irishman Conor McGregor
  • There has been talk of another fight between the pair at UFC 200
  • Diaz is keen to fight at lightweight to prevent more McGregor excuses
  • A rematch would leave a question mark over McGregor’s featherweight title

Stuart Fraser for MailOnline

Nate Diaz has confirmed he is keen for a rematch with Conor McGregor after beating him in Las Vegas earlier this month.

There has been much talk of another fight between the pair at UFC 200 on July 9 at the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas.

And American Diaz revealed on Wednesday that he is interested in taking on Irishman McGregor again. 

Nate Diaz submitted Conor McGregor by rear-naked choke in the second round at UFC 196 on March 5

Nate Diaz submitted Conor McGregor by rear-naked choke in the second round at UFC 196 on March 5

The pair could be set for a rematch at UFC 200 after Diaz confirmed his interest on Wednesday

The pair could be set for a rematch at UFC 200 after Diaz confirmed his interest on Wednesday

Diaz told Fox Sports: ‘It’s a real fight. People want to see that fight.

‘If that’s what he wants to do, that’s what UFC wants to do, let’s run it back, let’s do it again.’

Diaz also mentioned the prospect of the fight being held at lightweight (155lb) because of the excuses from McGregor after moving up to welterweight (170lb) for their first fight. 

Diaz said: ‘I’m trying to do the 55 thing because I don’t want to hear no more.’

McGregor lost by submission to Diaz in the second round and had been expected to drop back down to 145lb to defend his featherweight title against either Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo this summer.

A rematch against Diaz would leave a question mark over McGregor’s title which he will have held for more than eight months without making a defence. 

Jose Aldo, who McGregor beat for the featherweight title in December, has campaigned for a rematch 

Jose Aldo, who McGregor beat for the featherweight title in December, has campaigned for a rematch 

Featherweight contender Frankie Edgar is also desperate for a shot at the 145lb belt held by the Irishman

Featherweight contender Frankie Edgar is also desperate for a shot at the 145lb belt held by the Irishman

One possibility could see Edgar and Aldo meet for the interim belt at the landmark card on July 9. 

McGregor would then have to face the winner later in the year.

The 27-year-old had been due to face lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196 two weeks ago before the Brazilian pulled out with a broken foot.

Diaz stepped in at 11 days’ notice and after struggling in the first round, hurt McGregor in the second before sinking in a rear-naked choke.

Aldo (right) and Edgar (left) could face-off in a rematch of their 2013 fight for the interim featherweight title

Aldo (right) and Edgar (left) could face-off in a rematch of their 2013 fight for the interim featherweight title

 

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week’s top commenter?
Find out now